The goal of this article is to provide the residential homeowner with a simple and easy step by step process to wood floor cleaning. The procedures are one component part of successful cleaning. Another component is utilizing the best supplies available. The use of quality supplies and materials including a wood floor cleaner will deliver improved performance and accomplish the task quicker. Always remember when cleaning wood floors; always use the least amount of water possible.
Wood Floor Cleaning – Residential Step by Step Procedures
Basically the same procedures are used as in a Commercial location but without the Periodic cleaning with power equipment.
DAILY – Note: Whenever cleaning any hardwood floor, Do Not over wet the hardwood floor
- Dust mop floor with an untreated dust mop to remove most of the surface dust. However, microfiber dust mops are the recommended tool for this procedure. Remove gum and other debris adhered to the floor with a Blunt Plastic Scraper. Do Not over scrape or apply to much pressure. Doing so may damage the finish coating of the floor.
- Clean individual spots and stains by spot damp mopping with a microfiber flat mop. Allow to dry thoroughly. Use a quality Hardwood Floor Cleaner according to label directions. Remove black marks and scuffs with light duty white pad or tennis ball.
WEEKLY – Note: This procedure may be used Daily if high foot traffic patterns cause high soil levels
- Dust mop floor with an untreated dust mop to remove most of the surface dust. However, microfiber dust mops are the recommended tool for this procedure. Remove gum and other debris adhered to the floor with a Blunt Plastic Scraper. Do Not over scrape or apply to much pressure. Doing so may damage the finish coating of the floor. Remove black marks with light duty white pad or tennis ball.
- Damp mop entire floor using a quality microfiber flat mop system. A quality microfiber system is the key to delivering high performance results with this cleaning procedure. Further on in this article we will discuss this aspect of using quality products and supplies. Use a quality grade Hardwood Floor Cleaner Used according to label directions.
Wood Floor Cleaning – Helpful Reference Websites
Wood Floor Cleaning – Quality Cleaner, Equipment And Tools
Choosing the right cleaner and tools is critical and will provide superior results and reduce the amount of cleaning time. The following are recommended materials to start and accomplish the cleaning task.
Wood Floor Cleaning – Residential Homes
It is recommended that commercial buildings use commercial grade cleaners, tools and equipment. Best practices include the following.
- Dust Mopping – Microfiber System – Disposables and Reusable Pads are available
- Flat Mop Damp Mop – Microfiber System – Handle and Bucket with Wringer
- Quality Grade Hardwood Floor Cleaning Chemical
- Safety Equipment: Gloves, Goggles, etc.
Wood Floor Cleaning – Quality Cleaners Can Normally Be Purchased From…
- Local Janitorial Supply distributors
- National distributors like WW Grainger
- Wholesale Club like Sam’s or Costco
- DYI and Local Hardware Stores like Lowes and Home Depot
- Websites such as Amazon